What You May Not Know About Commercial Trucks
There is a lot of information about commercial trucks that a truck accident lawyer College Park MD has to offer can tell you that you may not already know. An accident between any two vehicles can be serious; but when an accident involves a truck, the results can be devastating. With years of experience helping personal injury clients, the lawyers on staff at Cohen and Cohen, P.C. understand that the aftermath of these accidents can be life changing for all involved. It is highly recommended that if you are the unfortunate victim of an accident with a truck, you should contact a truck accident lawyer College Park MD locals trust as soon as possible.
What You May Not Know About Truck Accidents
- Commercial trucking is heavily regulated by the federal and state governments. These regulations govern the usage of trucks and how drivers do their job. When those laws are not followed, the drivers and their employers may be held liable, especially if breaking those rules contributed to the cause of an accident.
- Depending on the size of the truck and the road it’s travelling on, the truck is limited to carrying a certain amount of weight. If the cargo’s weight exceeds that amount, it can decrease the driver’s control of the truck. A top truck accident lawyer College Park MD has to offer may be able to investigate details like truck weight to prove liability.
- A driver must have the proper licensing to operate a commercial truck. In addition, some are also required to have specialized training in the loading and operating of that vehicle. If the at-fault driver is missing any required certification, a truck accident lawyer in College Park MD may be able to use that to strengthen your claim.
- Many commercial drivers are subject to periods of mandatory rest and a maximum number of hours they can drive before they have to take a rest. These rules were put into effect to reduce the number of trucking accidents that were occurring as a result of drivers falling asleep behind the wheel. A good truck accident lawyer College Park MD residents look to for help may try to determine if the driver took short cuts in not taking their mandatory rests.
- Hazardous waste shipments are subject to additional regulations and again, this is meant to protect the driver as well as everyone else on the road. If you are involved in a truck accident that was caused by the trucker and you were subsequently injured by or even exposed to hazardous materials, this may be cause for claiming additional damages. A College Park MD truck accident lawyer like one from the Cohen and Cohen team would be happy to discuss further information that’s specific to your case.
- If it’s determined that the truck suffered some sort of mechanical failure which caused the crash, the manufacturer of that piece of equipment may be held liable. In this instance, a good truck accident lawyer College Park MD rely on may have to make the call on which persons and companies they will want to include in the litigation process. You want an attorney who understands how complex liability can be, who will hold accountable all at-fault parties on your behalf.
- The National Institute of Traffic and Highway Safety has determined that about 73 percent of all injuries and deaths that occur in accidents between a car and a truck are suffered by the occupants in the car. This is generally because trucks are larger and heavier than cars.
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, about 83 percent of accidents involving trucks occur on weekdays. This may be especially troubling for workers who have no choice but to drive during the week. A truck accident lawyer College Park MD commuters choose may suggest that drivers be extra vigilant while commuting to and from their places of work.
- Personal injuries occur in about 23 percent of all truck accidents. Cohen and Cohen has represented more than 10,000 personal injury victims likely included in this statistic. Through our experience in these cases, we have learned what to look for when investigating the accidents, and how to pursue justice for our clients.
- Sub-par maintenance on trucks can quickly put them at risk for a mechanical failure, potentially causing the driver to lose control of the truck, resulting in an accident with another vehicle. Whoever is responsible for that maintenance can be held liable because the results can be deadly:
- Improper tire inflation can cause tire blowouts. Not only is the truck then vulnerable to losing control, but the blown tire debris may interfere with other drivers either by hitting their vehicle or as road hazards.
- Hydraulic line failure can lead to diminished or failed steering ability.
- On most larger commercial trucks, the braking system is different and more complicated than cars. If any of these parts fail, the driver may lose the ability to stop or slow down.
Cohen and Cohen is the Truck Accident Lawyer College Park MD Motorists Trust to Represent Them
There are many reasons why we feel confident about offering our legal services to you:
- Our legal staff is available nights, weekends, and holidays if needed. If you were involved in an accident with a truck, contact us immediately.
- We offer a free initial consultation with one of our lawyers with no obligation.
- Our attorneys are highly knowledgeable about vehicular accident laws and about special laws and regulations specific to the commercial trucking industry.
Cohen and Cohen should be your first choice when it comes to hiring a legal team that may make the difference. When you need a truck accident lawyer College Park MD community members have put their faith in, call Cohen and Cohen.