Things to Know:
A bus accident can be a very scary event, and if you are hurt as a result of it; it may be a very good idea to hire a bus accident lawyer Lanham MD personal injury victims trust. Cohen & Cohen, P.C. has assisted many personal injury victim, and we want to help you too.
The time to hire a bus accident lawyer in Lanham MD is immediately after the accident occurs. Crucial evidence that can benefit your case may be lost forever if you delay. Injuries can be costly, and you should not be forced to pay your medical costs out of pocket when the accident was not your fault.
A bus accident lawyer Lanham MD residents turn to for information may be able to help you make critical decisions that could have lifelong consequences. Talk to one of our lawyers at Cohen and Cohen to see how a qualified and experienced attorney can help you.
What to Do Immediately After the Bus Accident Occurs
The moments after an accident can be an especially hectic and chaotic time. So while every situation is different, these few tips can act as general guidelines you may want to follow if you’ve been in a bus accident:
- Call for help. Usually in a bus accident, there are many passengers on board, so if you can’t find your phone or don’t have one, make sure someone calls 911.
- Get medical attention. In the event of an accident involving a number of passengers, there will probably be a delay in getting help for everyone.
- In a situation like this, a triage may be established to prioritize victims. It can be challenging for a first responder to quickly sort through the chaos and determine who should be helped first. More than one bus accident lawyer Lanham MD personal injury victims have hired will probably know from a client’s experience that sometimes people are misprioritized for medical attention.
- If a clear case can be established that you did not receive proper immediate medical attention and gross negligence was involved, your Lanham MD bus accident lawyer may be able to suggest whether pursuing a lawsuit against those involved in making those decisions is warranted.
- Exchange contact information with fellow bus passengers and other pertinent parties involved in the accident. Their testimony may be beneficial should a case arise.
- Take photos if you have a camera or cell phone with you, and you are able, take pictures of damages and injuries at the scene.
- Do not discuss the accident, even with fellow victims. Anything you say may be held against you later in court or during a settlement negotiation. This can include saying something as innocuous as, “It wasn’t the driver’s fault; it was an innocent mistake.” Later, you can detail what happened when speaking with a bus accident lawyer Lanham MD passengers trust.
- As soon as you are able, write down the details of what happened leading up to and including the accident. Your notes may become extremely helpful when offered into evidence by a top bus accident lawyer Lanham MD has to offer. Be sure to stick to the facts, and avoid speculating about who is at fault.
- Follow up with the police department to be sure a police report on the bus accident was filed. The report should be filed before you file a claim with your insurance company. Also, your attorney will probably want to review that police report when developing your personal injury case.
- Retain Counsel. When you meet with a bus accident lawyer Lanham MD residents believe in, her or she may be able to develop a strategy to recover your costs and losses. Cohen and Cohen, P.C. has recovered more than $50 million for our clients and our firm will continue to fight for the justice of accident victims.
- Avoid accepting any settlement offers from the insurance companyuntil or unless your lawyer recommends that you do so.
- More than likely, a bus accident lawyer Lanham MD residents turn to in situations like this will try to negotiate a higher settlement amount that they originally offered.
- Your attorney at Cohen and Cohen may also be able to press the insurance company to make a payment as soon as possible so that you don’t wait any longer than necessary to receive the funds. This can be a huge asset when the medical bills are due.
Not every personal injury is evident right away. There are a number of injuries a person can experience that may not be obvious at first. Personal injuries can also worsen over time. Your attorney at Cohen and Cohen may recommend a doctor or doctors for you to see who can give their expert opinion as to whether or not you are at risk for further or extended injuries. If they believe you are, the associated medical costs and damages may be included in your case or lawsuit.
Statute of Limitations
There is a limit on the amount of time that can pass before your right to pursue legal action or to file a claim expires. That amount of time varies by region and so it’s extremely important to not delay consulting an attorney about representing you.
Get the Justice You Deserve
Our legal team at Cohen and Cohen works hard to make sure our clients get the justice that is owed to them. If you are the victim of a bus accident, you do not have to deal with the legal system on your own. With the help of one of our attorneys, you may be able to recover costs associated with the accident, including medical bills, and focus on your recovery. Nobody should have to go it alone, and we’re here for you. Call Cohen and Cohen, P.C. today to make an appointment with a bus accident lawyer Lanham MD relies on.